Glaucoma causes damage to your eye’s optic nerve and is a leading cause of blindness. Damage to the optic nerve may be due to rising fluid pressure inside the eyes. Glaucoma tends to be inherited and may not show up until later in life. If left untreated, glaucoma can cause total permanent blindness within a few years. Dr. Perez’s comprehensive eye exam includes a check for glaucoma, which is a condition that affects your optic nerve or the nerve that connects your eye to your brain. Most people do not see symptoms (loss of peripheral vision) because this condition is so gradual. If treated early, most patients maintain most, if not all, of their peripheral vision.
- If glaucoma is not treated, it can cause total permanent blindness within a few years.
- Glaucoma can be diagnosed with a comprehensive eye exam by our optometrist, Dr. Perez.
- You are concerned that you may be losing vision.
- Hazy or blurred vision.
- The appearance of rainbow-colored circles around bright lights.
- Severe eye and head pain.
- Glaucoma can be managed, and there are a wide variety of treatments currently offered to help manage the disease.
- If you are afraid you might be developing blindness or think you have any of the above symptoms, schedule an appointment with Dr. Perez immediately.