Macular Degeneration or age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a medical condition which usually affects adults over 50. It causes vision loss in the center of the visual field (the macula), the part of the eye that provides sharp vision. It refers to changes in the back of the eye that can lead to central vision loss. Our optometrist can see if you have yellowish spots in the back of your eye, one of the first signs.
- Macular degeneration is the leading cause of vision loss
- Smoking doubles your risk for AMD
- More common among Caucasians than African-Americans or Latinos/Hispanics
- You have yellowish spots in the back of your eye
- If your central vision is a bit hazy
- Particularly found in older populations, Caucasians, and females
- Schedule an appointment with Dr. Perez to ensure that your eyes are healthy, and to discuss next steps